If a large capacitor is connected to a CMOS device, large charge and discharge currents flow for a long time, which could result in a malfunction or device damage. Additionally, because the output is short-circuited for a long time, internal wires could melt. If the power-off time is short, current could also flow through an output parasitic diode. Therefore, a large capacitive load should not be driven directly.
It is recommended to keep the capacitive load on an output pin below 500 pF. If it is exceeded, insert a resistor to limit the charge and discharge currents as shown in Figure 1.